Since the beginning of the war by Russia in Ukraine, Shepelsky Law Group has been working around the clock answering thousands of calls, emails, social media inquires and cries for help by Ukrainian refugees and their loved ones in United States.
The White House announced that United States will be accepting Ukrainian refugees. But how? Ukraine is all the way on the other side of the globe and to come to US, a Ukrainian national needs a U.S. Visa.
Everyone wants to know how to get Ukrainian refugees to United States. The following are options for getting Ukrainian refugees, after they escape Ukraine, to come to US:
What are the available limited options for Ukrainian refugees trying to enter the US?
1) IF YOU HAVE A U.S. VISA. If the Ukrainian national has any unexpired valid US visa, they can use it to enter immediately. We recommend you book your flight to US right now. Ukrainian nationals are currently not required to have Covid-19 vaccinations.In reality, people are telling me that the Border Patrol officers (CBP ICE) in the airports are still demanding to see full vaccinations for Ukrainians.
2) If you have a pending Immigration Case: If your case is still with USCIS, we recommend calling USCIS and requesting the case be marked as a Ukrainian case, expedited and moved to a European country of your choice (where your relatives from Ukraine will be comfortable staying) as soon as possible. If the case is with NVC – email NVC asking to transfer and expedite the case and assign to interview in a European country. If the case was awaiting an interview in Ukraine, email the US Embassy in the new country of residence and ask that Embassy to take the case.
3) TEMPORARY PROTECTED STATUS (TPS) is soon going to be available for Ukrainians in US as of March 1, 2022. No one who came after qualifies for TPS, they will be filing for regular Asylum.
4) TOURIST VISA TO USA. Applying for a Tourist Visa at the U.S. Embassy in European countries. But the Tourist visa instructions have to be followed specifically (Warsaw and Krakow US Embassies have different instructions for applying) and you will need to prove the Ukrainian national is planning to only come for a short visit and return, not to permanently immigrate to US using this Tourist visa. Here are all the instructions for US Embassy in Poland in the Ukrainian language: https://pl.usembassy.gov/…/humanitarian_assistance…/
5) PAROLE IN PLACE — Applying for Parole at a US Border Checkpoint. If the refugee from Ukraine is able make it to the US Border in Canada or Mexico, they can request to be paroled and allowed to enter USA as refugees under the Humanitarian Parole program. The refugee family should have with them information for a US citizen or Green Card holder sponsor in US – their passport copies, tax return copies and all contact information.
6) Filing for ASYLUM at the US Border Checkpoint – If the refugee from Ukraine is able make it to the US Border in Canada or Mexico, they can ask for ASYLUM as Ukrainians and victims of Ukrainian genocide perpetrate by Russia’s President Putin and their regime. The refugee family should have with them information for a US citizen or Green Card holder sponsor in US – their passport copies, tax return copies and all contact information.
7) USCIS Humanitarian Parole from USA – Filing for Humanitarian Parole with USCIS is done for this type of relief using USCIS Forms I-131 and Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support). This parole request usually filed by a US Citizen or Green Card holder petitioner to get their relative (in this case, a Ukrainian refugee) to come to US. A parole substitutes for a visa and gives the entering person legal status in United States, so it would work for Ukrainians. Reuniting with US relatives for urgent humanitarian reasons fits perfectly in this situation.
A good source of information on Humanitarian Parole for people OUTSIDE of USA is here: https://www.uscis.gov/…/humanitarian-or-significant…
CALL US TODAY TO SEE HOW WE CAN HELP YOU LEGALIZE INSIDE U.S.A.
Marina Shepelsky, Esq.Shepelsky Law Group
2415 Avenue U, Ste. 2 RearBrooklyn, NY 11229