Skip to Main Content

Five Ways to Legalize in the U.S. After Entering with a Tourist Visa

Hello, friends! Β If you came to the U.S. with a tourist visa and want to stay longer, welcome.

Here are five ways to help you:

1. πŸ’ Marry a U.S. Citizen πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

If you marry a U.S. citizen, you can apply for a Green Card. Your US Citizen spouse can file a family petition for you, and you can file for a Green Card, a temporary employment authorization and a travel document (advance parole) while you await  your green card.

This process is called “adjustment of status.” It lets you stay in the U.S. while your application is processed. Be honest about your relationship because immigration officers will check if it’s real. Make sure to submit joint documents with your adjustment of status forms to USCIS. You may actually get a chance to avoid having an interview with an interview waiver if your marriage is well supported by joint documentation and you do not have background issues (arrests, etc).

2. When A Tourist Visa Becomes Your Road to Asylum πŸ“πŸŒ

If you entered the U.S. on a tourist visa, you can still apply for asylum.

You may fear returning to your home country because of danger or persecution. In this instance, asylum is an option. Be sure to do this within one year of entering the U.S. You will need to present evidence that your life faces risks. You can file if someone persecuted you because of your race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. For example, those identifying as LGBTQ or a woman can be a social group in some countries that gets targeted with abuse.

3. Employment-Based Green Card πŸ“—πŸ‘©β€πŸ’ΌπŸŒ

Some jobs can sponsor you for a Green Card. You need an employer willing to help with the process. Jobs in technology, medicine, and education often sponsor employees. Your employer will file a petition for you. If you have exceptional abilities, you may even be able to self-sponsor yourself for this type of work green card.

Even if you initially entered the U.S. on a tourist visa, you can transition to a work visa or Green Card through employment sponsorship.

4. πŸ‘΅πŸ‘΄πŸ‘ͺ Family Sponsorship πŸ‘¨β€πŸ‘©β€πŸ‘§β€πŸ‘¦πŸ‘¨β€πŸ‘¨β€πŸ‘¦πŸ‘©β€πŸ‘©β€πŸ‘§

If you entered the U.S. on a tourist visa and decide to stay, your family members can still initiate the sponsorship process for you.

Family members who are U.S. citizens or Green Card holders can sponsor you. Parents, children, and siblings may help. The process can take time, but it’s a good option for many.

5. πŸŽ“πŸŒ Student Visa (F-1) ✈️

You can change your status from a tourist visa to a student visa. You need admittance into a U.S. school and proof you can pay for it. This lets you stay in the U.S. while studying.

Important Reminders About the Tourist Visa:

– Always follow the rules and be honest in your applications.

– Talk to an immigration lawyer to understand your options and get help.

– Do not overstay your tourist visa without starting a legal process.

This will get you time to look for a job or employer to sponsor you to w

Legalizing your stay in the U.S. can be complicated, but with the right steps, it is possible. Good luck!

Call us today with all your immigration questions, we work in all the 50 states!

Call us today!

Shepelsky Law GroupImmigration Lawyers for all 50 states

☎: (718) 769-6352