Skip to Main Content

The More You Know: Notable Guide to U.S. Work and Student Visas

Discover the ins and outs of U.S. work and student visas in this comprehensive guide. Unravel the complexities and stay informed with essential information on the visa application process and requirements.

Additional H-1B Visa Lottery Announced for 2024

Navigating the world of U.S. work and student visas can be daunting. With the right knowledge, you can streamline the application process.

There is continued high demand for H-1B visas. USCIS has stated that for Fiscal Year 2024, there will be a second H-1B visa lottery. This choice helps to keep up with the need for more skilled workers in some business sectors. It keeps the country competitive on the world stage.

The H-1B visa program is a non-immigrant visa that allows United States employers to hire foreign nationals in specialized occupations. It has long been popular among technology, engineering, healthcare, and other industries facing shortages of skilled workers. The demand for H-1B visas is consistently exceeding the limited annual cap set by the U.S. government. This leads to an increasingly competitive and unpredictable visa application process. The first lottery took place in March of this year. USCIS said it had recently decided that it would need to choose more H-1B applications to reach next year’s cap. However, the document didn’t state when the next drawing will take place.

For Fiscal Year 2024, the second H-1B visa lottery will work similarly to the first one, held earlier in the year. Employers wanting to hire foreign experts in specialized areas will submit H-1B visa applications on behalf of their potential workers. These requests will go in a pool for drawing. Then, USCIS will pick more people who need H-1B visas at random from this group to meet the new limit. The exact number of extra visas given out in this second drawing is not yet public. However, it should help clear up the pile of applications. This gives skilled workers from all over the world a fair chance to work in the United States.

A Guide to Different Types of Student Visas in the United States

It’s crucial to plan ahead and ensure you meet all the necessary work and student visa requirements.

As of July 2023, the United States is still a popular place for foreign students to study. The US has such a wide range of educational options. Foreign students who want to study in the U.S. must get the right student visa. In this guide, we look at the different kinds of student visas that are available at this time. We also include their qualifiers and how to apply.

The F-1 student visa holds the position of the most prevalent student visa in the United States. It caters to international students in academic or language programs at accredited institutions. These include universities, colleges, and vocational schools. To meet the eligibility criteria for an F-1 visa, applicants must obtain acceptance from a U.S. educational institution. They must also showcase ample financial support, and sustain full-time enrollment throughout their studies. F-1 visa holders may also be eligible for limited on-campus jobs and optional practical training (OPT) after getting their degree.

Next, the J-1 visa is intended for students in exchange programs sponsored by the U.S. Department of State. This visa category includes educational and cultural exchange programs, research programs, and international student exchange programs. J-1 visa holders must return to their home country for at least two years upon graduating. Then, they can apply for certain work visas or permanent residency in the U.S.

In addition, there is also the M-1 visa. The M-1 is for students pursuing non-academic or vocational studies in fields such as technical training and vocational courses. Examples include programs for cosmetology, aviation, and automotive technology. Similar to the F-1 visa, M-1 visa applicants must have a confirmed acceptance to a recognized vocational institution. They must also prove sufficient funds to cover their education and living expenses.

The United States remains a popular destination for international students seeking quality education and diverse experiences. For that reason, understanding the different types of student visas available is crucial. The F-1, J-1, and M-1 visas each serve specific educational purposes, and applicants should carefully review their eligibility and requirements. By following the visa application process and preparing the necessary documents, students can embark on an exceptional educational journey in the United States.

U.S. Work Visas: A Gateway to Employment Opportunities

Aside from one of the most well-known United States work visas (the H-1B visa), the U.S. provides a number of other opportunities for foreign employees under various other visas too, such as student visas. Work visas grant temporary residency in the US, allowing foreign nationals to contribute their skills and expertise to the United States workforce.

Multinational companies use the L-1 work visa to transfer specific employees from their foreign offices to their U.S. affiliates or parent companies. It comes in two categories: L-1A for executives and managers, and L-1B for employees with specialized knowledge. The L-1 visa allows foreign workers to stay in the U.S. for an initial period of up to three years (L-1B) or up to seven years (L-1A), with possible extensions. In order to qualify for an L-1 visa, one must have worked for the foreign company for at least one year within the previous three years. They must also be coming to the U.S. to work in a management or specialized knowledge capacity.

Moving on, the O-1 visa caters to individuals with exceptional abilities. This can be related to: science, art, education, business, athletics, or remarkable feats in the motion picture and television industry. This visa is good for those who have received significant recognition or awards for their exceptional talents and contributions. The O-1 temporary work visa grants an initial period of up to three years. It allows indefinite extensions in one-year increments. This enables individuals to continue their work on specific projects or assignments.

United States work visas provide opportunities for foreign nationals to contribute their skills and expertise to the U.S. job market. Whether through the H-1B visa for specialized occupations, the L-1 visa for intracompany transfers, or the O-1 visa for extraordinary abilities, these visas play a crucial role in supporting the U.S. economy and fostering cultural exchange. Application processes and requirements can be complex. Potential applicants should seek guidance from professionals, such as immigration lawyers, in order to navigate the visa process successfully.

U.S. Investor Visas: Unlocking the Path to Entrepreneurial Success

Don’t forget to gather all the required documents and supporting evidence to strengthen your work or student visa application.

The United States is the land of opportunity, for entrepreneurs and investors from around the world. To encourage foreign investments and increase economic growth, the U.S. government offers different investor work visas. These all provide a pathway to residency or citizenship for those willing to invest in the US economy.

The EB-5 program is one of the most popular routes to U.S. permanent residency through investment. To qualify for the EB-5 visa, foreign investors must meet specific criteria. Among these criteria: investing a minimum of $1.8 million in a new commercial enterprise. Nevertheless, making an investment in a targeted employment area (TEA), characterized by high unemployment or rural status, reduces the minimum investment to $900,000. The investment must create or preserve at least 10 full-time jobs for qualifying U.S. workers within two years of the investor’s admission to the United States.

Approved EB-5 investors and their immediate family members (spouse and unmarried children under 21) get conditional permanent residency. After two years, investors can apply for the removal of the conditions to obtain full permanent residency status. Another type of investor visa is the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa. This is a non-immigrant visa for nationals of certain countries that have treaties of commerce and navigation or bilateral investment treaties with the United States. Unlike the EB-5 visa, the E-2 visa does not lead directly to permanent residency or citizenship. However, it allows investors and their families to live and work in the U.S. for the duration of the investment. In order to qualify for an E-2 visa, the investor must make a substantial investment in a U.S. enterprise.

The investment amount varies based on the nature of the business. However, it must be sufficient to ensure the success of the company. Additionally, the investor must maintain active involvement with the direction of the business they are investing in.

People who want to start/grow businesses in the U.S. and have an entrepreneurial spirit can get a U.S. investment visa. It can be through the EB-5 program, giving people a straight road to permanent residency, or the E-2 visa, which gives people a temporary place to live. Visa choices are very important for bringing foreign investment, boosting the economy, and making it easier for people from different countries to work together. The application process can be complicated. People who want to invest in the United States should talk to a professional. A professional, such as an immigration attorney can help them get a visa and start their road to business success in the United States.

Need help preparing your immigration case and updating your application for USCIS? Contact Shepelsky Law!